PingSweep has been added to Pinkie since v1.08. And over the years, it’s been fine tuned and enhanced quite a bit.
Below are some tips to help take advantage of all the useful enhancements in Pinkie’s PingSweep feature:
- Sweep a Subnet: To sweep a subnet, enter an IP Address, then select a subnet mask. Pinkie will automatically scan the subnet and also does DNS lookup for the addresses being scanned.
- Sweep a Specific # of IPs: To sweep X number of address, enter the start Host Address then enter No. of Hosts and click on Start Ping Sweep button. Pinkie will scan from the Host Address up to X number of hosts and also does DNS lookup for them.
- Copy PingSweep Result: At times, you might need to send the pingsweep result to someone else. To do that, just do an pingsweep then click on the Copy to Clipboard button. After that, you can paste it into your email or whatever application at your choosing.
- Include Only Live Hosts: Check this option only if you want to copy the live hosts or those that responded to ICMP request.
- Copy a Single Address: Click on a particular row in the result listview will copy its IP Address to the clipboard. I find this function is particularly useful when someone asks me for an IP Address that hasn’t been assigned.
There are some other enhancements in the works for PingSweep. Hopefully they will make it to the next release.
As always, if you need to enhance the PingSweep function to suite your need better, send in your request and I’ll check it out.